Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just go for it

It always amazes me when progress happens in the smallest of ways with the biggest impact.  One day, you just naturally cross your legs when you haven't been able to for years.  Where did that come from?  When did your mind go from thinking you couldn't to just going for it?

I was doing Tae Bo last night.  You know, the one from 1999...doesn't make it any less relevant or hard.  But as I was doing moves that I once thought I could never do, I appreciated the chance I took just to see if I could do the moves.  There are these fighter kicks that Billy does that he basically just kicks his legs forward really fast and this is one of the moves I thought was for super skinny people and it would be a long time before I could ever do it.  It's one of my favorite go to moves now especially if I need to modify in another workout but keep my heart rate up.  He also does this one where it's a knee lift on both sides, then a kick on both sides and four jumping jacks then repeat.  I always did the first two parts but modified the jacks.  Last night I did it all the way through even though I was having one of those nights where I felt a lot heavier.  (You ever have that?  You just feel like lead some nights?)

Another one is Turbo Fire's air jacks.


Now the Mr does these all the time because he needs insane moves to get his heart rate up since he has the lung capacity of uh...something with a really large lung capacity.  Me?    I'm content to do regular ol' jacks.  Well lately I've been throwing in some air jacks as long as my knees are up for it and feel so proud of myself when I'm done.  I tend to smile when I'm done like "yeah...air jacks are my beeotch now!"  There's nothing more satisfying than bustin' out a move that you never thought you could do and not plan it, it just happens organically.  I'm looking forward to more of those moments!  Burpee...you're next on my list!

What move have you done that you were most proud of at the time?  What move are your looking forward to conquering?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. Prefer Facebook? Come like my Facebook page.

10 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to doing Levels 2 and 3 of the 30 Day Shred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm just looking to improve my overall stamina. I haven't run across anything I can't do one or two of but I'd like to be able to do all of them.

    Except pushups. I can do the girly ones, but making the transition to regular ones hasn't happened. I don't think I can do even one Maybe that's my move to work towards.

    I totally get the lead balloon days too. I had one of those Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I could do ten real push ups in a row! I couldn't believe I had gotten that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear u:) I never was able to run before but after amping my workouts and all..the other day i surprised myself by running for 5min straight on the treadmill.....


    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't do these insane workouts. I probably could if I were so inclined, but at my age, every time I encounter a jumping jack in zumba, my thoughts go to my feet and knees and remembering that I'd like to stay active for another 40 years or so and I don't have any spare parts. :) Same goes for running. I'll just keep plodding along, and the day I summit my first 14,000+ ft. mountain I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with Hazel on that 30 Day Shred. I can barely make it through the pushups on level 1. They are mentally and physically exhausting. Right now I will continue to focus on level 1 until I feel like it's been mastered. Way to go for you being brave enough to try something you didn't think you could do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOA AIR JACKS LOOK CRAZY! <3 missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, it's not so much a move as stamina. I used to die halfway through Wii Fit's "short run". Then, last night, I completed it and thought, "Oh, it's over already?" So then I did the longer run right after it and made it halfway through THAT one before I started to feel like I was going to die. Tonight, I'm going to see if I can complete the short run and the long run, one right after the other. That's eight minutes of running in place. I could barely do two minutes just a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about the small things we can do without thinking about them making the biggest impact; I realized recently that I cross my legs *all the time* now without thinking about it, and no way could I do that before.

    I think the first time I ran a mile without walking (slow, but still running) is what I am proudest of so far, even more proud than when I finished my first half marathon. I'm looking forward to the day when I can do a pull up--I have NO upper body strength at all, so that's what I'm working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many things in yoga I want to do and have made great strides on. But one big one is still crow pose. I've kind of done it once or twice but I want to get to the point I can just go into it with no problems. I also want to do wheel (right now I'm more a flat tire) and plow (I have a mental hang up with that one) and shoulder and hand stands (again, mental block there).

    I was super proud when I did all three levels of 30 Day Shred back to back. And when I was finally able to do the plank jacks (in S90D).

    And (this one is silly) last night I ran 38 minutes straight and breathed through my nose the whole time (no needing to pant like a dog). That was HUGE for me (and so encouraging).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)