Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Corn Potato Chowder

I thought I might call this "good intentions soup."  That's how this bad boy was born.  I bought some corn at the farmers market, roasted it and meant to cut it off the cob and freeze it right away.  It might've sat a day or two.  I roasted some garlic and only used half of it with the rest staring at me every time I opened the fridge.  I bought a jalapeno pepper and it was starting to get wrinkled a bit.  I bought a small hunk of manchego cheese to try that I just hadn't been inspired to use and it was probably coming to the end of its life span.  The thought of me throwing away all of that stuff just past its prime wasn't acceptable so I thought I'd just start throwing stuff in a pot to see how it came out and voila...Corn Potato Chowder!


Corn Potato Chowder


(Makes 3 servings)

7 oz russet potato, cubed with skins on
3 cups corn (either 3 fresh ears with the kernels cut off or 3 cups frozen corn not canned)
3 cups skim milk
1 cup Trader Joe's (or comparable) low sodium chicken broth
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 head garlic, roasted without olive oil
1 oz manchego cheese (asiago or parmesan will work)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp rosemary
1/2 tbsp basil

In a large stockpot, spray some cooking spray and add your onions and jalapeno pepper.  Cook until onions are almost translucent.


Dice your potato.


Add it to the onions and jalapeno.


Add your chicken broth.


Cut the kernels off of your corn cobs and separate them so they're not stuck together.  Then add them to the pot.


Add the milk.


Add all of the spices.


Add a little water to the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry (yeah, totally forgot to take a pic of that) and add it to the pot.  Let it bubble up on medium high heat while you stir it until it thickens up.  You could also do it in a crockpot for a few hours while you get some other stuff done.


As you get close to serving time, grate up the ounce of cheese.


Add it to the pot and give it a final couple stirs before ladling it out.


Yes please.



Nutritional Information per serving:  Calories 328  Total Fat 4g  Sat Fat 2g  Poly Fat 1  Mono Fat 1g  Cholesterol 12g  Sodium 214mg  Potatssium 795mg  Total Carbs 62g  Fiber 6g  Sugars 17g  Protein 18g  Vitamin A 17%  Vitamin C 52%  Vitamin D  25%  Calcium  34%  Iron 8%
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

13 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Too bad you didn't have a stray slice of bacon laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! it looks so delish. I will try it one week night..

    thank you.
    Manasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely getting ready for Autumn! It looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious. I like the idea of putting it all in the crock pot and having it hot and ready for me on a crisp fall evening when I get home from work! Was it pretty spicy with the jalapeno pepper and cayenne pepper? Or does sauteeing it up first help tone down the heat? I know taking out the seeds helps with that. I like hot, but my body, (at my age) doesn't like it so much. Although I have noticed since the weight loss, I can tolerate it better. For instance, I have fallen in love with pickled sliced pepperoncini peppers. I put them in everything and when I do I help myself to a couple pieces right from the jar. YUM! Not too hot, but a little kick. I might substitute those for the jalapenos for these old taste buds and accompanying decrepit digestive system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM. Corn chowder is one of my favorite soups evah. But it's always so high in calories! I love that you managed to make a lighter version of it. And I totally wish I was having this for lunch today...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy looking soup and nice stats too! Cheese + potatoes + cream + corn = healthy?? You, my friend, are a magician. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuuuuuuuuum! Droooooool...I lurve corn chowda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot one important thing: It's GLUTEN FREE! Woohoo! I'm always super excited when I can try one of your recipes. I will absolutely be trying this one. Thanks, Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is printing as we speak. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)