Monday, August 27, 2012

Last weekend of August recap

It was a somewhat non-eventful weekend for us.  The Mr got stuck working for about 9 hours.  That's all I'm gonna say about that.  We tried to cram in some shopping before he had to start but it began to get rushed so it wasn't overly enjoyable.  Sigh.

Sunday we lazed around a little and then went to three open houses.  (Yes we go to open houses although we're not quite in the market for a place just yet.  We pay off in a couple of years then we'll be wide open unless a house we just can't resist pops up.  It only happened once and they refused a contingent offer.  Pfft) We didn't see anything that blew us away.  Boo.  Well no, I'm glad we didn't because it would bum me out more than excite me.  We found one that we liked but too much work to be done that we're just not up for right now.  Is it just me or shouldn't a realtor say "you might want to remove the cartoon of naked lawyers showing their junk and ta ta's?"  It was straight out of the 70's.

Then it was off to the grocery store to load up on fruits for the week.  I'm giving up on watermelon.  I usually get decent ones most of the year but the past three have been mealy and mushy.  Not good eats.  So I went with cantaloupe, grapes, pineapple and clementines.  I switched it up from Pink Ladies to Golden Delicious apples this week.  I'm a rebel I tell you.  Before you know it I'll be making homemade gravy with skim milk.  It'll be anarchy.  (That's a hint of things to come)

Can you believe college football season is upon us?  I find myself less excited about it than I used to be.  I'm very content with DVRing it and fast forwarding.  The Mr is going to chain me to the house for 3 1/2 boring hours.  Maybe I'll just go somewhere and watch it later on DVR.

We did a good strength workout last night.  Free weights and I lifted semi-heavy (15, 20 and 25).  I wore my thumb brace then iced afterward for a couple of hours so it hopefully won't yell at me today.  September will introduce a Friday workout.  They'll be more fun ones that have been relegated to the back shelf because they're not calorie scorchers like Dance Dance Revolution, Xtreme Cardio Dance, Gilad and a couple of others.  This week I will especially need it as my birthday is coming up and there will be 1 1/2 days of goodies over the course of this week.  Speaking of which, today is the birthday of a dude I had a crush on in the 6th grade.  Am I the only one who remembers birthdays of people who are no longer relevant in your life?

I told you it was boring.  What about you?

What did you do this weekend?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

12 comments:

  1. I also remember birthdays of people who are no longer relevant. At least a few of them.

    Wow - a change in apples. You are a rebel. I'm a gala girl myself and although I'll buy something else if they're on sale for less I'm always happy to go back to my galas.

    The weekend was pretty dull around here. This week will be crazy though. My students are back so I'll be actually doing my job again instead of sitting in meetings all week and my little guy starts Kindergarten today. Eeep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much,visited some friends I haven't seen and alot of sitting around, rained all day yesterday. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a filling replaced Friday--not a fun way to spend my day off--but glad he could get me right in. It was a front tooth and I looked like a hillbilly. Foster granddaughter's 3rd birthday party Sat. at noon, and Husker volleyball game Sat. night. I spent Sunday at home alone as hubby had to work, but I got some much needed cleaning done. Today it's hubby's 60th birthday so we're going out to eat with the whole family. Barbecue--yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a granny Smith and Braeburn gal, but the Braeburns tend to get less crisp then leave the produce section over the summer. Love a good, crisp, tangy apple!
    Good to hear your experiment led to one down. I had a week of on and off "Screw it!" eating. Ate the good stuff but snacked on Skittles and my nemesis food: pretzels. I pulled in the reigns hard on Sat/Sun and have been rewarded with a one-pound gain. I stayed away from the scale from Tues onward last week, then pushed hard this weekend. I knew better than to look while the sodium and junk was at high noon. I will gladly take the one up and move on. Real roller coaster. I NEED A JOB! Keep pressing on, girl, and I will do the same.
    Oh, we have a new neighborhood going in and have prowled around in the half-built homes, like we used to do as kids with my folks. I'd love to go looking at houses on the market. You must be looking forward to the day you guys are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the birthdays of everyone I knew as a kid growing up. It's strange to be friends with them on Facebook now...a part of me always just wants to say "I still know its your birthday!" but I don't think that would be a very normal thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only birthday I remember of someone not relevant in my life any more is a girl who was new in our class in 6th grade and the only reason I remember is because it is the same as mine and meant I wasn't the youngest in the class anymore (not solely, anyway!).

    Some realtors just are not helpful at all. We fired one in Nebraska as she was always late, said our house was fine to show as it was , etc. When we got the new one, she had us reduce clutter, sheet rock a room that was panelled and made all sorts of good suggestions.

    We went on family bike rides, hung out and got some stuff done around the house this weekend. I also cooked up a storm to freeze meals for a friend who had surgery. I'll go stay with her tomorrow and Wed. to help out.

    Keep being a rebel!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Changing apples??? What are you thinking woman?!?! Lol...apples...pie...fall!! One weekend closer :). I am so ready for college ball!!! My team kicks off Thursday. You can bet I'll be watching :). Did nuffin' all weekend...went for a great run Saturday a.m. and then was lazy. Hubs made yummer fajitas so I didn't even cook :). Have to make up for weekend laziest today though :). Hope the week is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding? I usually forget my own birthday. :)

    Ordinary weekend for me--gym, sleep, laundry, packing, etc. I didn't get much done, but I do feel restored.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saturday I stayed home like a sloth and Sunday was football. Typical weekend. And I still remember my 6th grade boyfriend's birthday...but that might have to do with the fact that it's so close to mine - just 2 days after. Hope you have a happy birthday!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went open-house prowling on Saturday too. We're going to be ready by the end of September, but then we're going to Cancun for a week, so we're not getting too into it yet. Oh, who am I kidding, I spent three hours on the MLS yesterday getting a list and then weeding out what we don't need to see based on several criteria that you can't exclude with search terms, like 'nowhere near a busy street'. I 'heart' Googlemaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know what I did last weekend--West Elm!

    You know, I really miss house-hunting. I know most people hate it, but I had a lot of fun. We just bought our house last year and I'm already kinda sorta looking forward to buying the next one. :)

    I've been getting mealy watermelon too lately. I wonder if it's the weather?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)