Friday, August 10, 2012

Caramelized Onion Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

"Hey, mambo! Mambo italiano!
Hey, mambo! Mambo italiano
Go, go, go you mixed up sicialiano All you calabraise-a do the mambo like a crazy with a
Hey mambo..."

Do I have you feeling like some Italian food?


How about now?

Every now and then, mama gets a hankerin' for lasagna but not the hassle of assembly and such so I make these lasagna roll ups.  Here's what you'll need to make some for yourself and your family.

Caramelized Onion Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
(Makes 6 roll ups)
Click for printable recipe

6 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
3/4 cup Trader Joe's Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze water out
1 egg
1/2 cup caramelized onions
1/2 cup Prego Meat Sauce
1 cup Trader Joe's Organic Marinara sauce
2 tbsp Trader Joe's Shaved Asiago, Romano, Parmesan blend
Parsley
Salt Free spices

I like to make my filling in the morning so I can allow the flavors to marry a bit.  In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, add the egg and combine.  Then add the spinach, caramelized onions and any salt free spices of your choice and blend until combined.  If you're making ahead of time, cover it and put it in the fridge.


To make the sauce, I go simple on this one.  To reduce some sodium I combine the 2 sauces since the TJ's marinara has very little sodium in it.  Mix the sauces in a bowl and add any salt free spices.  I used black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.


Put the whole wheat lasagna noodles in a stock pot of boiling water and boil until al dente (not mushy).  When they're done, transfer the noodles to a large bowl of cold water not only to stop the cooking process but to make them cool enough to handle.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.


Grab an 8x8 pan and put just enough sauce to cover the bottom so the noodles don't stick.  I like to put a little cooking spray on the sides too in case the noodles touch.


Divide the filling bowl into 6.  (I like to score it to look like a pie so I know how much to scoop out for each noodle.)  Scoop the filling onto one end of the noodle then spread it from end to end.  Roll up from one end to the other then place it seam side down in the pan.


It doesn't matter if you've got a ripped one like the one on the top middle because looky what you're gonna do...cover that bad boy with sauce and no one knows!  Cover all of the rolls generously then cover with foil and put in the oven for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, uncover and add parsley or basil if you prefer then top with the asiago cheese and up the temperature to 425 degrees and bake for 5 more minutes uncovered.


Serve up to your favorite people and let the praise roll in.


Mangia!

Nutritional Information per roll up:  Calories 184  Total Fat  4g  Sat Fat 1g  Poly Fat 1g  Mono Fat 1g  Cholesterol 41mg  Sodium 300mg  Potassium 93mg  Total Carbs 29g  Fiber 5g  Sugars 6g  Protein 9g  Vitamin A- 8%  Vitamin C- 9%  Calcium- 13%  Iron 10%

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

13 comments:

  1. You need to open your own restaurant, looks absolutely delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to become one of you favorite people! but until then thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Everything you make is awesome though. You need to write a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delish I had to pin it! Think I'll add it to the menu plan for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks super yummy! Damn song gonna be in my head all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe--it does indeed look super yummy. Gonna try this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!

    Definitely need to try this soon. Oh, and the Mr. is right--you need to write a cookbook! Do an e-book and I'll bet you'd sell a lot of 'em right here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous! (of course!) Maybe I feel a little Italian today...Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome - I think I would eat the whole pan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious!! I need to learn to make caramelized onions. I am going to try these!

    Have a great weekend, Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I've never thought of adding caramelized onions to lasagna. Awesome idea! And now I'm so hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shut the front door...this looks amazing!!! Beautiful pictures!!! Damn...I'm licking my screen again...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to try this! This looks so yummy and easy for me to do! I'll let you know how it turns out! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)