Thursday, August 9, 2012

Anatomy of my oatmeal

A few people emailed me about what I use to assemble my oatmeal with different "butters."  So I figured if you're a visual creature like myself, you could appreciate this


I measure out 1 serving of Quaker Oats (40 grams) and add 4 oz of skim milk plus 1 tbsp of water.  I microwave it for 1 minute.  I slice half a banana and add it to the oatmeal and mush it around in there for a little extra flavor.  I add 1 tbsp of cookie butter* in the middle, 1/2 tbsp of mini chocolate chips around the side then I cut up the rest of the banana and put it around the edges.  1/3 tbsp of honey over the banana and if I'm feeling fancy and needing a little crunch (like I was that day), I take 1/4 of a sheet of graham cracker and crumble it over the top.


*- You can use whatever butters you want in there.  Cookie butter/Biscoff spread, almond butter, nutella, peanut butter, sunflower butter, etc.  Variety is the spice of life baby!

This bowl of oatmeal was 437 calories and can keep me good and full all morning long.

Do you dress up your oatmeal/cereal?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

12 comments:

  1. Your oatmeal looks delicious! The cookie butter..... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll dress mine up with some homemade granola, pumpkin seeds, sliced bananas like yourself, or whatever fresh berries that I have on hand (usually strawberries). I'll also add some unsweetened vanilla almond milk after cooking to add some creamy texture and a little extra vanilla taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your oatmeal looks good. Lately, I've been making mine with apple chunks, handful of pecans, and some golden raisins....soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I add blueberries and pecans to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes toss in raisins, or chocolate chips, or peanut butter (or PB2), but I'm also happy eating it plain. I've always prepared mine with water, and I'm not sure why. Probably because I rarely have milk on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? You don't buy your oats at TJ's?! Their organic oats are super reasonably priced.

    Speaking of TJ's, have you guys tried the jalapeno chicken sausages? Super yum! We top them with TJ's mango salsa...to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your oatmeal looks and sounds delicious. I love Cookie Butter and bananas. I used to eat oatmeal every morning, I bought the instant kind, loved the cinnamon roll flavor. I mixed it with water and then poured some skim milk on it before I ate it. DELICIOUS! For now, I am hooked on cold cereal with a little skim milk and then a banana after I eat the cereal. Sometimes I have a 100-cal thin bagel with a cinnamon cream cheese wedge from Laughing Cow. But I find myself really looking forward to that bowl of cereal every morning too, and the banana afterwards is like my dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm boring, because I usually just cook mine with raisins and eat it with a splash of milk or almond milk. But I have put in craisins and walnuts before--love it but can't afford the calories very often. I stopped putting in butter--the dairy kind--years ago when I gained weight and don't miss it now. Never even thought about peanut or other nut butters, maybe I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went all out with mine this morning and added Nutella and banana slices. Tomorrow, however, I want one of those Banana Nutella quesadillas, if you will :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I eat my oatmeal all different ways, and one of my favs is with a tbsp of cookie butter and a few chocolate chips. I do banana, blueberry and walnuts, I do dried cherries, sliced almonds and some coconut with a drizzle of honey. Sometimes all I add in is a spoonful of nutella. It just depends on my mood. I usually cook my oatmeal with the vanilla unsweetened almond milk. If i have steel cut or scottish oats all I like on t hem is a pinch of salt and a pat of butter..sometimes with some honey. :) I love me some oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is some intense oatmeal! Usually I just do honey, some fruit, almond milk, and oats. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)