Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BBQ Beef Sliders

This isn't so much of a recipe as it is a declaration of my love for our new favorite weekend meal.  I love Hawaiian sweet bread.  I mean, seriously.  It would be considered an affair if the Mr. wasn't aware of it.  The airy, pillowy texture with the slightly sweet flavor is the perfect compliment to most anything.  Whether you sandwich it with pork, chicken, beef or even something as mundane as peanut butter...it can take the every day to a higher level.  This our new favorite higher level...


Take a King's Hawaiian dinner roll and about 2 oz of beef roast that has been going in the crock pot simmering with hickory liquid smoke.  The house will smell heavenly and you will be a hero in your own home.  Add some caramelized onions, which is a sweet, velvety ode to perfection on its own.  Top with your favorite BBQ sauce which for us is K. C. Masterpiece Hickory Brown Sugar and is the perfect blend of sweet and smoky to slightly cut the sweetness of the bread and onions.

It's not the most low cal thing you'll ever have but 2 are more than enough to fill you up if you throw a healthy side with them.  They can easily be fit into your calories for the day if you plan correctly.  I hope you fall in love with them as much as we have.

Nutritional Information per slider:  Calories 305  Total Fat 15g  Sat Fat 3g  Cholesterol 53mg  Sodium 358mg  Potassium 143mg  Total Carbs 12g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 6g  Protein 16g

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

8 comments:

  1. I love Hawaiian sweet bread. I love it so much I can't have it in the house. I saw the sandwich rolls for the first time at the store last weekend though so I may bend my rule. I will eat one at a time, and have hubby hide the rest of the package from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Hawaiian sweet bread is something I've forbidden myself from buying at the store since I started eating healthy. I've eaten small bits of it at christmas gatherings, but that's it. It's one of my weaknesses. When I was much larger one of my indulgences would be a big tub of spinach dip and a round of hawaiian bread. I could polish off over half a loaf. Mmmm.. So good. I think I could enjoy it in moderation with the small buns. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Hawaiian sweet bread too - I tend to make it from scratch though. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have all of my ration of Hawaiian sweet bread, along with that Nutella stuff you like. But the BBQ in the crock pot and caramelized onions sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delish! I cook my roast in the crockpot with BBQ sauce. We don't eat the sauce out of it, but the beef has a wonderful BBQ flavor. We shred it and lay it over half a potato with a bit of cheese on top. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hawaiian sweet bread is soo goood!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hawaiian bread can be quite addicting which is why the wee rolls work well for us.

    Hawaiian sweet bread and nutella sandwiches courtesy of Cheri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread is dangerous. My brother and his daughter actually got in a fight over it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)