Thursday, December 22, 2011

What I learned from the 12 Days of Treats

Brilliant ideas requiring that much work should come about June 1st, not November 30th.  You can bet your bottom dollar (that tomorrooooow, they'll be suuuuuun.  Sorry) that I will be making and photographing pics throughout the year so they're ready to go when the time comes next year.

I had fun!  While it was stressful, I found and created some awesome recipes and some are going to be staples for my family.  We loved the shortbread, the Crinkle cookies on their own or made into whoopie pies, the ChocoRolo cookies and the chocolate chip fudge the best.  I'm already thinking of new recipes and I've actually photographed a few.  I know, I'm mental.

I was able to bake without scale penalties.  Did I lose anything?  4 lbs and that's with 20 recipes under my belt from what I posted here to things I made for our own actual holiday celebrations.  That is a huge friggin' victory in my eyes!  I also know that I can fit stuff into my calories as long as I track and this just reiterated how important that is.

Most decadent recipes can be made a little healthier than you found them without sacrificing taste.

Co-workers will eat a shoe sole if covered in sugar or slathered in buttercream.

Did you make any of the recipes?  Which ones were your favorites?

====================
Don't miss another post!  Subscribe via email or RSS feed.

9 comments:

  1. Yep. Made the shortbread cookies followed by the chocolate crinkle cookies and last night the chocolate cookie dough fudge. The fudge was almost too easy :). I have not yet tasted the fudge as it is for a Christmas party tonight (and I shaped it like a wreath so I was unable to get a chunk without it being noticed). So thus far, my fav was the crinkle cookies...so chocolaty, moist, easy and low in cal.
    Ps: I was going to send u a pic of Choco fudge last night but I could not able to find a way to attached a pic to spark mail :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the shortbread cookies. They were amazing, I had to give most of them away.

    They're definately going in my book for the christmas cookie rotation. I want to try the fudge but haven't gotten the condensed milk to do so yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the pumpkin cups with ginger snap crust back at Thanksgiving. I also made the peanut butter & marshmallow creme cookies. Both fantastic. I'm planning to try one or two more recipes "for Santa" this weekend. Maybe the rolo ones or the chocolate crinkle ones.

    My hubby's favorite cookies in the world are Mexican wedding cakes. I'd love to see a lowered version of those if you have one, but since they are basically butter, flour, and powdered sugar I'm not sure what can be done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear people have tried them! Today I'm making the crinkle cookies into nutella whoopie pies and the rolo cookies.

    AnotherLayer- In checking out the Mexican Wedding Cake recipe there isn't a whole lot of altering that can be done but you could use 1 cup of AP flour and 1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour to add some extra protein and fiber. The calories were already 35 per cookie so I'd say it's probably one of the better choices. You could always mix up the nuts too and use macadamia nuts which have heart healthy fats just like walnuts do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made the fluffernutters, fudge, chocolate crinkles and raspberry tarts all to go in our goodie baskets for the neighbors. Favorite was chocolate crinkles or fudge. I also tried new recipes for an orange spice cookie that was fantastic (my favorite of all) and cheddar wafers to add some savory to the basket and those were great as well. I too have lost weight during all my goodie making so am please with my small sample then send them away approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - thanks. I didn't check the calorie count, I just figured it was awful and I didn't want to know. 35 calories per cookie isn't bad at all. I usually use pecans or walnuts because that's what I have on hand, but you're right that macadamia nuts would be great in them too. I'm thinking about adding chopped up raisins or cranberries the next time but hubby's a bit of a purist so I may have to split the batch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! That is a huge friggin' victory. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That is a MASSIVE victory! Excellent work, Mrs.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep thinking about those Chocolate cookies sandwiched with nutella, ice cream, or buttercream...please, don't wake me from this dream... LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...