Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 9: Raspberry Tarts

I love cute little desserts or appetizers to bring to parties.  A nice 2 bite indulgence that allows people to sample without going too overboard.  Now when I was a kid, you couldn't get me NEAR a thumbprint cookie or anything with fruit in them.  The thought of it made me recoil.  Then I actually tasted one and I realized what I'd been missing.  Any seedless fruit spread will do but I love raspberry best not because it's healthy but it reminds me of Crunchberries without the crunch.  Is that wrong to admit?  *shrug*  I have a different recipe I usually do for a similar cookie but wanted to try something different so I found these and adapted them.


You can sub all kinds of things for the centers of these but these raspberry tarts are perfect not just for Christmas but would also make a cute Valentine's Day dessert for your sweetie.  In the future, I'm going to take the shortbread recipe and use that for the cups because I have a sneaking suspicion that they would taste like one of my favorite cookies, the Knott's Berry Farms Raspberry Shortbreads.  Oh man, maybe I shouldn't make those.

Raspberry Tarts

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup salted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Polaner's Raspberry fruit spread, seedlessPowdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT fruit spread and powdered sugar in a mixer or food processor until dough forms.

On a floured surface, turn dough out and form a log. Divide log in half to make 15 balls. I used my steel food scraper to divide the half into fours and those fours into fours for 16 dough blobs. Because the butt of the loaf is usually smaller, the two ends from the butt end will be smaller so make them into one ball, and voila, 15 pretty even balls!)

Place balls into mini muffin pan and press your thumb in the middle to create a well until the dough reaches the top of the cup. (I used the bottom of my pizza cutter handle that was the perfect size for this. Search your gadget drawer for something to save your fingers from dough covered temptation!)

Spoon 1 tablespoon of raspberry fruit spread into tart making sure you don't over fill. (I found the large end of a melon baller worked perfectly for these. Who knew my baller would get such a workout with baking this year?)

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes before removing from the pan to a cooling rack.

If desired, lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. (Will add a few additional calories)

Makes 30 tarts.

Adapted from: http://www.evilshenanigans.com

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

6 comments:

  1. Oh good, I don't like raspberries, so I'm safe from this one...

    ...except that it would probably be tasty with other fruit jams as well, wouldn't it?

    Sigh. Bookmark.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you could use strawberry, grape or...you're gonna hate/love this one...a mini reese cup! *Gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the shortbread recipe, and I just had an epic fail with the gingerbread recipe (from another source) that I was going to send to hubby's workplace...maybe these will get a try with your suggested change...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...a mini Reese cup one... What great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fruit, but a mini Reese's? Heavens!

    BTW, I had to take a treat to a potluck last night and didn't have time to do anything from scratch, but I had a brownie mix and TJ's Candy Cane Joe Joes on hand, so I took your brownie idea and added the Joe Joes on top (cut in quarters so I could portion them out in smaller pieces). They were a hit, even with the box brownies, so I can't wait to try the REAL recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...