Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 7: Biscoff White Chip Cookies/ Whoopie Pies

You're getting a two-fer today folks!  I don't know about you but one of the few perks of flying these days are those cute little Biscoff biscuits they give you.  They have this kind of gingery, molasses taste to them that I could gorge myself on if the basket is brought around too many times.  I was oblivious there was a spread out there with the same sweet and spicy goodness that I could get in a cookie until I was reading various recipes throughout the year and kept seeing Biscoff spread being repeated as an ingredient.  I knew I had to try it.


I wanted to try a Nutella frosting I'd had my eye on so I thought keeping half a batch cookies and turning the other half into whoopie pies seemed the right thing to do.  I'm all about culinary justice, ya know.  To assemble the whoopie pies just slap two tbsp of nutella frosting between 2 cookies.  They may be the most beige looking things you'll ever eat with or without frosting but they're the most delicious beige you'll ever taste.

Biscoff White Chip Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup Biscoff spread
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1 egg
2 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp Hain no sodium baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup Toll House White Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl, add dry ingredients (flour to salt on the list) and set aside. Mix first 8 ingredients together in a large bowl with a mixer. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture.

Add chips then drop dough by the tablespoon 2" apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on the sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Makes 38 cookies.

Nutritional Information per cookie:  Calories 112  Total Fat 3g  Sat Fat 1g  Cholesterol 5g  Sodium 57mg  Potassium 61mg  Total Carbs 23g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 16g  Protein 2g  Calcium 1%  Iron 1%

Adapted from: My Recipes.com

Nutella Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Nutella
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (omit if using for whoopie pie filling)
3 cups powdered sugar

Blend all ingredients in a bowl or stand up mixer.

If you want it to be thicker or for whoopie pie filling omit milk.

Makes 32 two tablespoon servings

Nutritional Information per 2 TBSP serving:  Calories 88  Total Fat 4g  Sat Fat 1g  Poly Fat 1g  Mono Fat 1g  Sodium 28mg   Total Carbs 14g  Sugars 14g  


Adapted from http://kokocooks.blogspot.com

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

8 comments:

  1. When I flew to Arizona in October they passed out those cookies on the plane--and I was in HEAVEN they were so good! I was really hoping they'd have them on my flight to NYC last month, but they just had pretzels :(

    The Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's tastes just like them--sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I love those things! Trader Joe's came out with their own version of them called "tea cookies" or something like that and they were awesome. I'm going to have to make another recipe with the Biscoff spread so I have an excuse to buy the cookie spread. I saw it Sunday and couldn't justify buying it with half a jar of the other stuff leftover. Dangerous discovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must live in a cave because I never heard of Biscoff. I'm Cammy and I'm a social misfit.

    Off to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good. I just recently discovered Nutella. I'm 42 and had never tried it. So good. New fan courtesy of Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny. Very nice to meet you. Your weight lost is impressive. Tring to do the same myself. Not easy this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cammy- Come out of the cave girl! Or I don't know, maybe not, it's sinful!

    Kim Bee- Welcome! We discovered Nutella about 4 or 5 years ago and now we always have it in the house. It's so good to put 1/2 tbsp of it on a morning banana or on an occasional piece of toast. It's definitely not easy this time of year but we've been able to do this weight loss thing by tracking our calories and if we can afford a few cookies, we have them. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. You should be my neighbour. :(

    I wanted to thank you for the comment you made today. It really got me thinking about how it might actually be ages before people will tell that I've lost weight... and that led me to think that I should stop thinking about it. I can't control what others say and don't say.. Just keep working and one day I'll get there. :)

    I also want to thank you for the endless stream of support. You're making this whole ordeal easier for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at nutella.... I'm back in town from our anniversary trip (17 yrs...woohoo!....although only 8 married.... We went on our first date, he proposed and we got married on the same day...makes it easy to remember right?). Before our trip I made the shortbread cookies. The fam enjoyed them alot and tomorrow I am making the chocolate cookie (with box mix and cool whip) for our annual office goody day. Thanks for the great different recipes.
    Fizzyball

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must not fly the right airlines (or class), 'cuz I've never had those cookies. Probably a very good thing. Gonna have to find the Biscoff spread and try these; Nutella frosting?! Oh my. I think I'm in serious trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...