Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 4: Chewy Cocoa Brownie with Candy Cane Joe Joe's

Did ya know it's National Brownie Day?  Who starts these things?  Don't know, don't care...I'll just say thanks for giving me an excuse to make them.  (As though I need one)  I made a Halloween version of these and tested them on the Mr's co-workers back in October and they went batty for them.

Wah wahhhh.

(Actually they were really cute.  The cookies had little Jack O' Lantern faces on them that screamed "eat me!"  Thankfully I ignored them)


Try to ignore that.  You want some don't you?  Me too.  But I don't get one until later tonight so I'll have to lick the screen wait.  The recipe is so fudgy and chewy and the addition of that candy cane joe joe is to die for.  (You could sub Mint Oreos if you don't have a Trader Joe's close to you)  The bottom cookie gets soft and the peppermint filling melts into the brownie a little bit, filling your home with the aroma of candy canes.  It'll practically knock you over when you pull them out of the oven.  The top of the cookie retains its crunch so it has a great texture...the perfect brownie to celebrate this made up holiday or a real one like Christmas.  Just a note, don't store them with anything you don't want to pick up a peppermint scent.

Chewy Cocoa Brownies with Candy Cane Joe Joe's

1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Hain baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
24 Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe Joe Cookies

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Combine granulated sugar, butter and water in large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; stir into sugar mixture. Spread into prepared baking pan.

Line up 24 candy cane joe joe's on top of the brownie mix and push down slightly.

Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

Cut into bars once cooled for non-stick cuts.

Nutritional Information per brownie:  Calories 205  Total Fat 10g  Sat Fat 5g  Mono Fat 2g  Cholesterol 31mg  Sodium*- 111mg  Potassium 23mg  Total Carbs 28g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 18g  Protein 2g  Vitamin A-4%  Calcium- 1%  Iron- 5%

*- If you use regular Baking Powder the sodium is 193mg per brownie

Adapted from VeryBestBaking.com

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

9 comments:

  1. HaPpY bRoWnIe DaY to you!!! (I too did not realize we had just a day but it made me laugh so I already like it). I love me some brownies in moderation of course but had always used the pre-packaged box brownie mix so thanks for the easy (already have the stuff in pantry) recipe yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these recipes look so good! Print, print, print! LOL! I think it's great that you're doing a countdown with the cookies...it's a very nostalgic way to celebrate and makes it so much more fun to experiment with different ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you are either evil or cruel or wonderful, or maybe all three, I can't decide. I LOVE Candy Cane Joe-Joe's, and I love brownies. When I make these (because I will, you know), I have to have a plan to get the bulk of them out of the house quick or I'm in big, big trouble. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    Denise- I'm probably a good mix of all three. ;) We saved 4 of them back for us and took the rest to the nursing home a few doors down who were ecstatic to receive them! They also got 2 other recipes I made so there were some happy, hyped up old folks in the neighborhood last night! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my GOD this looks even better than the others! Gahhhh, this is killing me. I want to try it all, it's like I can almost imagine the taste, only I know it would be better. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one I'd better not make. They look fantastic though. Maybe I'll make them Sunday and dump them on my coworkers Monday. I'll just have one to ummmm... make sure the recipe came out right (yeah, sure) and take the rest to work.

    Or maybe I should play it safe and not make them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Brownie Day! (I'm having cake today or I'd celebrate with a brownie. Maybe if I squint?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love brownies Mmmm! You are so creative! I think you should open a bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful and for the record I only had two in as many days (moderation is key). The cookies taste like thin mints and in combination with the brownie it is just plane awesome. Great job baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...