Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 3: Seven Layer Bars

This recipe is my uncle's favorite.  I was never a fan because I don't like butterscotch or coconut much.  I know I could change up the chips but I wanted to stay true to the recipe.  The Mr had never tried them before and when he did a little "quality control" he really loved it and said he wished he'd known how good they were all these years!  When I sent them to his work, people raved about these and said they're the favorite thing I've made so far and are still talking about it 2 days later.  So there you have it.  Seal of approval straight from the Mr and his co-peeps!  All you have to do is sub out a few ingredients with low fat/fat free items and you have...a calorie laden bar.  BUT this is about making healthier choices where we can and I subbed low fat graham crackers for full fat, fat free condensed milk for full fat and reduced the coconut required by 1/3 cup and it all got scarfed down by the co-workers with no hint of it tasting any different than full fat seven layer bars.


Seven Layer Bars

1 1/2 cups Honey Maid Low Fat graham cracker crumbs (9 sheets of graham crackers broken down)
1/2 cup Butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 oz Toll House Butterscotch chips
6 oz Toll House Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Flaked Coconut
1 cup chopped peanuts
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put aluminum foil in 13 x 9 inch pan so the foil comes up over the sides of the pan.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter then add to the graham cracker crumbs. Pat the crumb mixture down into the pan so all of the foil on the bottom is covered evenly.  Spray the sides of the pan with some cooking spray to help things not stick as it bakes.

Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.

Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely then lift out foil and cut into 24 pieces.

24 servings

Nutritional Information per bar:  Calories 260  Total Fat  15g  Sat Fat 8g  Mono Fat 1g  Cholesterol  12mg  Sodium  78mg  Potassium 10mg  Total Carbs 27g  Fiber 1g  Sugars 22g  Protein 5g  Vitamin A 3%  Calcium  8%  Iron 3%

Adapted from: Allrecipes.com

====================
Don't miss another 12 Days of Treats recipe! Subscribe via email and get them delivered to your inbox!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my god you are going to kill me with these treat recipes!!


    (Keep them coming though! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have everything needed for this recipe already in the pantry. A good friend and her 3 children are coming to the house Friday to bake some treats before we go off to a local Christmas show, needless to say we will be doing mostly your cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally - a recipe I can resist. I've had these before (obviously not your version) and they were not my favorite. I like everything in them, but for me the sum is not greater than the parts. Maybe this is the one I should make since I won't be as tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fizz- Yay! I've got some great ones coming up. I have no idea how I'm surrounded by all of these (not for long before they go off to work) and not gorge on them but somehow I just work them in.

    AnotherLayer- I know, I'm not the least bit tempted by them at all especially for the calorie count and not liking butterscotch/coconut. I can totally resist these

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these cookies! I never make them because I'd eat a whole pan! Can wait to try this healthier version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat the whole pan of these.

    Or even just one, if someone were to send it to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice way to make an incredibly UNhealthy treat a bit more reasonable. This is one I'll pass on; I know most people love 'em, but I've never been a fan. Seeing the stats, even though they're better than the original, makes me glad about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there. I stumbled across your blog and enjoyed reading some of your posts. I love your attitude and humor and kudos to you for such an amazing weight loss! It's not easy and takes daily motivation to keep going! Thanks for sharing. I recently lost 23 pounds and I've never felt better! I wish you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so awesome! I think I would probably really enjoy these since coconut is my best friend :) LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...