Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 1: Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies

Welcome to the kickoff recipe of The 12 Days of Treats countdown!  I'm super excited to be doing this and so glad everyone else seemed to be as well!  Let's get to it!

There's this place on the Big Island of Hawaii that does these amazing shortbread cookies.  They're $15 and totally worth it.  I thought no one could make them as good as they do.  I was wrong.  I found the easiest basic shortbread recipe ever and it is so flavorful and buttery they were snarfed down quickly by the Mr's co-workers.  (I actually did a little extra exercise to fit in a 3rd cookie they were so amazing)  I know I'm really building these up but dang man, I've never tasted anything so heavenly.


Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies

1 cup Land O Lakes salted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
48 (120 g) Wilton Dark Cocoa Candy Melts

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar then gradually stir in the flour. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough in half and roll into two 12" logs. Roll each in plastic wrap and chill for about 15 minutes. Cut logs into 1/4- 1/3" slices (about 22 per log)   Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork on one side.  Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes or until bottom begins to brown. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Microwave chocolate melts for 30 seconds then 10 additional seconds as needed until just melted and stir until smooth.  Dip the side with the fork marks in the chocolate and remove excess with a small knife. Add sprinkles of your choice or leave dipped plain.

Makes 44 cookies

Nutritional Information per cookie:  Calories: 81  Total Fat 5g  Sat Fat 3g  Mono Fat 1  Cholesterol 11mg  Sodium 33mg  Potassium 18mg  Total Carbs  10g  Sugar 5g  Protein  1g  Vit A- 3%  Iron 2%

Adapted: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brown-Sugar-Shortbread/detail.aspx

====================
Like this post? Never miss another one...subscribe by email or RSS feed at the upper left of the page!

13 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! Love the presentation!

    How did you get the cookies to be so perfectly flat and uniform-looking? Even a little concave going on... I am so "equal, even slices" challenged! Do you think chilling for a little extra helps with uniform cutting, or not really.

    I adore shortbread. Amazing that they are a three-ingredient cookie! I will be ready to start baking after the semester ends and this is the first on the list.

    Excited for the Mrs. 12 Days of Cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound so easy! I think I'll add these to my neighbor goodie baskets this year! Thanks! Awesome job on the photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melly- These cookie bake in the exact shape you cut them in so you could also roll them out and use small cookie cutters if you're "slicing impaired!" ;) The more chilled the better but 15 minutes seemed to be the 'sweet spot' for me.

    Kim- I was amazed not only how easy they were but how incredibly flavorful. The butter flavor bursts forth like a kick in the tastebuds which is why using real butter is very important on this recipe. These would be perfect goodie basket additions and if people have soldiers overseas, these would surely make it to their destination because I dropped the container on the floor and not a one broke! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can attest that these more than sufficiently beat out the Big Island Candies version we used to get at high expense (with added shipping)and my co-workers ate every last one of them before lunch if that tells you anything. Great job and the picture is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 ingredients?!?! Only.... I am so making these tonight. Wow. 12 days of cookies off to a fantastic start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookmarked (and pinned on Pinterest!) I'd better start adding in some extra exercise now. :)

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always felt that 'pretty' cookies weren't as tasty as the 'not pretty' kind. These look to be the best of both worlds. Hope my hubby's co-workers are up to the task, because I love to bake, but I don't love to exercise...someone else has to help eat what I bake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous picture, and a yummy sounding recipe. I am SO making these . . . and I've pinned them on Pinterest, too, so you might end up with some extra traffic here from a couple of us doing that. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful. I don't eat chocolate, but they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shortbread Cookies are my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these last night!! So Yummy and a hit at work for sure. I coated mine in 60% cocoa dark chocolate for that bitter/sweet combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine weren't as pretty as yours, but were pretty enough to send as gifts to my mother and brother. Love that they should keep long enough to mail! First batch got a little too brown because of oven temp variance, so DH claimed the 'mistakes'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...