Thursday, September 8, 2011

Relishing the Little Things

As I finished up my Power 90 Original and 'act a fool' dances to get my calorie burn over 1,000, I glanced at the workout calendar.  It's a picture of Waipio Valley on Big Island.  That got me thinking about our trip in the Spring and the things we would pass on our way to Waipio.  We have to go through our favorite town of Waimea which is a cowboy town and so unlike Hawaii with it's rolling hills, cows, cowboys and the like.  The people there are amazing and so friendly.

Ever since 2002, when the series Girl Meets Hawaii with Samantha Brown was on, I have wanted to go to the Hawaiian Style Cafe just because of the loco moco they serve.  (One of our favorite heart attack inducing dishes)  It was this episode (sorry, unavailable now) of the show that made me want to go there.  The segment is about 1 minute in.  Notice anything as you watch it?  If you said no, you're probably skinny or a reasonable facsimile thereof.  If you said there are all tight booths and counter seating, then welcome my morbidly obese brethren.  Besides us always seeming to hit the area after it closes, it became clear that my girth would not be welcome in those tiny booths.  I also didn't care to be the really fat chick walking in and ordering her uber loco moco to go so I could find a park to eat it in like a dirty secret.  That's what we were going to do the last time we were there in 2008 but we got there too late.  I swore one day I would go in and eat inside like a normal person.

As I thought about the journey through Waimea to get to Waipio as I looked at the calendar, I thought this might actually be the year I can!  The thought so overwhelmed me that I began to cry.  I pray I'm right.  I can fit pretty much in any booth now but these look really tight.  I know I still have about 7-8 months to do it and get even more breathing room but with the lack of progress lately despite working my heiney to the bone, it feels slightly out of reach.  I'm going to take a picture of that.  Me sitting in that booth, enjoying my loco moco.  I may need to be Crisco'd out when I'm done but dammit, I WILL sit in the booth at that eatery that has eluded me for 9, well by that time, 10 years!  I will also do the tour of Ono Certified Farms in the same episode because I thought I wasn't physically fit enough to walk it and didn't want to embarrass myself.  I am DOING this and I will finally have something to be proud of even if others take it for granted.

====================
Like this post? Never miss another one...subscribe by email or RSS feed at the upper left of the page!

10 comments:

  1. I think one of the biggest gifts of this journey you're on, Mrs., is to be able to do things (sit in a booth, take a walking tour, etc.) you haven't been able to do before that the skinny minnies take for granted. And I suspect when you have joined the ranks of the skinny minnies (yes, I KNOW you will get there), you will still not take those things for granted. And that kind of conscious living, relishing the little things as you so articulately expressed it, is really rich, satisfying way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest victories are personal ones. The goals you set and acheive that are for just for you. I watched the segment and watched just to see the size of the booths. They are pretty small, but I fully expect I'll see pics next spring of you and the Mr. enjoying your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have not said it before, I'll say it now. I have the best followers/friends ever! I WILL share that pic...with pride yo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The booths are on the small side but I am betting you will be fitting in them just fine in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe in you and I know that you'll fit into one of those smallish booths this spring! I know you've been frustrated lately (well, more than just lately...)but I know you'll get there. I can't wait to see that picture of the two of you there with your loco moco's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome goal setting! I see you there with a big smile on your face and loving every minute of it! Give me an N - A - T - F what's is spell - determination! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds awesome! I love Samantha Brown and watched the segment, too. She goes to the really authentic places, and the Hawaiian Cafe sure looks like it fits the bill. I can see you there, come April! If you take pics, I *will* see you there!!
    Press on, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great!!! Can I come?? Just kidding, of course! I want to see the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heart you! Can't wait for the pictures of you and the Mr. sitting there enjoying the taste of sweet success!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)