Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Homemade Rice Pilaf

As a kid, I LOVED Rice A Roni.  Give me the beef rice and dump a load of ketchup on it and I was a happy girl.  (Man I haven't had that in forever!  LOL)  But the problem with those boxed rice mixes is they are at least 700 mg of sodium per serving.  Bloat city.  When I saw that you could make this from scratch, I thought "why didn't I think of that?"  The great part?  You can save a minimum of 600mg of sodium!  Woot!  You can also add veggies and use veggie stock to make this a vegetarian dish!


If you'd like the printable version of this yummy rice pilaf, click here!


====================
Subscribe or "follow" (on right) to help me get to 100! A giveaway will ensue when I reach the triple digits!

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! I LOOOOOVED the chicken Rice a Roni boxes. I'd actually forgotten that I put ketchup on it too until you mentioned it. Rice a Roni is something I haven't touched since I started eating healthier. I'm definitely going to try this one out. Question though... how large is the serving? About a half cup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the serving size is basically 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp. Don't wanna miss that tablespoon baby!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Hubby is all about the Rice-a-Roni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am TOTALLY craving Rice a Roni now, LOL! My dad swore I must be part Asian because I could eat some form of rice, especially Rice a Roni, every night and be happy. I haven't had it in eons because of the sodium; thanks for the recipe! I will be heading out to pick up some orzo to make my own as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmmm! My favorites were the chicken and the spanish rice. I even like plain rice with a splash of soy sauce. I've been wanting to try quinoa since you've blogged about that before. I told the hubs that that was next on my list of "newbies" to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the curses of being from the deep south is that, in our mentality, rice requires gravy. lol Thus, I have never been a big rice as a side dish person. Making it homemade like this could fix that problem by allowing me to make it extra moist with my own veggie or chicken stock. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...