Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Mac and Cheese

I saw on some Trader Joe's board that a lot of people liked the reduced guilt mac and cheese.  I saw my store started carrying these so thought we'd split it and give it a try.  A few minutes in the microwave and it's ready to go.  While I appreciate the effort to reduce my guilt, I'll take the guilt please.  It was okay.  It tasted like diet mac and cheese.  Plus despite stirring, it clumped up in the microwave.  I don't think it's awful, it's certainly passable if you want to fit it in to your meal planning and are pressed for time.  But you could probably make a better, healthier version at home with whole wheat elbow macaroni, 1 oz of sharp cheddar and skim milk.  Besides, with the streak they've been on the past 2 trips, if I got hooked on this, they'd probably discontinue it!  Pffft!

Nutritional info:  Cals: 270  Fat 6g  Sat Fat 4g  Chol 20g  Sodium 540mg  Carbs 40g  Fiber 1g  Protein 15g





























====================
Don't want to miss another post? Make sure you subscribe!

6 comments:

  1. Does it make you wonder what they are eating that makes that taste good? I have a hard time with packaged meals tasting good because I cook fresher food so much. But I am a big fan of Amy's products. I've tried quite a few of them and they all are really good. Speaking of I have one of her's mac and cheese in my freezer right now and I think that sounds pretty tasty now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing this, I saw it in my TJ's recently and almost bought it. Now I'm glad I didn't. I think I'd rather make my own and suffer a little guilt in the process! Plus, when I make it myself I can add broccoli so it's a little less of a guilty pleasure. Hmm, that does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you, you could make a healthier version using the whole wheat elbows (fiber! offset the cheese), less saturated fat using skim milk and you could definitely reign in that sodium and still have great taste, I'll bet. It's great to have something ready to grab out of the freezer but how cool would it be to grab your own stuff!!
    Do you have any tupperware-style sandwich holders? (or something "portion size"?) Line with plastic wrap so that it's overhanging the container and spoon in the portion. Place containers in the freezer till they're frozen enough to fully wrap up into convenience squares. Go with making your own when you have some down-time. Looks like you love cooking from the great food pics!!
    Always love the reviews, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey chickiedoo! I finally figured out how to subscribe to your blog! Haha not exactly computer savvy....I don't even know if my name will come for you to know who I am so I'll tell you it's Tashie from SP :) keep up the awesome blogging :) always love reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffy- Packaged stuff might be convenient but taste is usually secondary. I like Amy's stuff too!

    Arlene- Sounds like yours would be better anyway!

    Melly- Yep making it yourself is so much better when you can control the ingredients. Great idea for the freeze and make yourself! I do love to cook, I just wish I had a kitchen that could fit more than 2 butts in it!

    Tashie- So glad to see you here! Hope to see more of you and hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It 'looks' good...my DH makes a killer (read fattening) home made mac and cheese but I will have him give it a shot making one with some kind of strong cheese and rice pasta...I know....it doesn't sound appetizing...but a girl has to try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...