Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dispelling the irritating myth

A few blogs ago I asked you guys what your most irritating weight loss advice/saying was.  The one that always makes me laugh is “a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.”  Um NO.  It doesn’t.  A pound of potato flakes weighs the same as a pound of steel.  Period.  A pound is a pound is a pound, you dig?
Now, DENSITY, yes…that’s where they differ.  A pound (or 5) of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle.  See...
So the next time you might feel that urge to give that piece of advice when someone's scale is stuck, at least say it right.  "If you're working on building muscle, your measurements might be changing since muscle takes up less room than fat.  If you've measured and nothing has changed, then I got nothing for ya." 

Well meaning advice is fine and dandy, just make sure you're giving the right kind!  ;-)

====================
Don't want to miss another post? Make sure you subscribe!

7 comments:

  1. Haha!! So true. I don't think I honestly noticed that this was misspoken so often.

    I have phrases that people say that drive me crazy, but not necessarily any weight loss advice that drives me totally crazy. "Tommorrow is a new day." Is kind of irritating. Why wait for tomorrow??

    "I'm just talking out loud." and "It's a mute point." both drive me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that one quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha this is awesome. That is so true! Thanks for the visual aid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! This reminds me of a joke my 7 year old got me with the other day. If a plane crashes into the middle of the ocean, where do they bury the survivors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear this said ALL the time and I always try to explain it...but then I'll see the person say it again. UGH!!! Really???? Since when does a pound not weigh a pound...and if someone really believes that - then all I have to say is "Hey - I have an acre of real estate I'd like to sell ya if you got a moment"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate thoughtful readers like you! If your comment doesn't show up right away, check back in a few minutes. I promise it'll get posted. The system can get a little glitchy. (Rude or spammy comments will be deleted. Fair warning.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...